Monday, July 09, 2007

The $703 Cross Stitch Piece!

I was trying to figure out why this project is taking so long...it seems like spaghetti. No matter how much I stitch, it just doesn't seem to make a dent in the project. So, I thought I would take a minute and calculate how many stitches will be in the finished project. The circle is 10 inches across, which gives it a radius of 5 inches. To calculate the area of a circle, you square the radius (5 inches) which equals 25 inches. You then multiply this by pi (3.14) which equals 78.5 inches. Now this is being stitched on 14 count aida, which means each square is 14 stitches by 14 stitches which equals 196 stitches per inch. So, you multiply 196 stitches by 78.5 inches and it equals 15,386 stitches! Now, I read on some cross stitch board, that 150 stitches per hour is considered average. So this piece should take 102.5 hours. If I earned minimum wage ($6.85) on this piece, it would have a value of $703.00.
Just in case you are wondering what I do for a living, when I am not cross stitching, I am an ACCOUNTANT!

No comments: